Career as City and Town Planner
- Ability to work in a team
- Managerial skill
- Good communication and presentation skill
- Good legal acumen
- Collaborative aptitude
- Creative and aesthetic
- Good social values
City and town planners also known as urban & regional planners take responsibility for planning and redevelopment of urban areas. Communities require enhancement and protection of urban land, environmental safety and an equitable distribution of economic opportunity.
- Study the developmental needs of communities in a city, town or region.
- Confer with community representatives, public officials, developers to plan for development.
- Survey the site to be developed through onsite visits, maps etc.
- Study the environmental conditions, economic resources, census data, and market research reports.
- Study plans prepared by civil engineering departments and developers.
- Order feasibility reports for the proposed changes and make suggestions for implementation.
- Present the final plan to the planning committee.
- Keep updates on zoning, building and environmental regulations, legislations and legalities for compliance.
- Ensure well maintained, attractive, planned and integrated growth of the urban area
- Plan coordinated development of public facilities, roads, transport, schools, water, sewage, transportation and safety.
- Pay special attention to the protection of sensitive ecological regions.
- May specialize in transportation planning, housing, environment, urban design, Historic site preservation and development
- Architecture firms
- Engineering firm
- Construction firms
- Landscape architects firms
- Land developers
- Legal firms
- Environment groups or NGOs
- Schools of Planning
- Intercontinental Consultants Technocrats
- Municipal Corporations
- City Development Authorities
- State Town Planning Organisations
- State Transport Corporations
- Tata Energy Research Institute
- Engineers India Ltd.
- Ernst & Young
HOW DO I GET THERE?
PATH 1 :
|Stream: Maths||B.Tech Arch/ B. Tech Planning/ B.Tech Civil||M. tech Planning||City & Town Planner|
PATH 2 :
|Stream: Humanities||BA Geog/ Eco/ Sociology||MA Geog/Eco/Sociology/
|City & Town Planner|