- Creative & Artistic
- Original and inventive
- Sensitivity to colors, shades and tones
- Ability to think in three-dimensions to translate into garments what they visualize
- Good communication
- Goal oriented
- Business acumen
- Interest in sketching
- Eye for detail
- Visual imagination
- Fashion conscious
- Understanding of market and customer lifestyle
Fashion designers design garments which are functional as well as attractive and in keeping with trends, market predictions and the climate. They have knowledge about fabric, weave, draping qualities, material, color and design and the changing trends.
Fashion Designing process involves
- Exploration and research
- Sketching the original idea on paper
- Shaping the pattern pieces which make the garment
- The pieces are then drawn in actual size on paper and cut out on a rough material, stitched together and fitted on a model.
- Modifications in the pattern pieces or other features of the mock up are made and thus the design is completed
- Garments are then made in the final fabric
Fashion designers in wholesale production
- Specialize in producing certain types of clothes in a wide range of styles and fabrics, e.g., jeans, jackets, children’s wear, men’s wear, women’s wear, knitwear, sportswear, etc.
- Adapt high fashion designs for production at a large scale at low cost.
Designers for fashion trends
- Manage firms and fashion houses which produce exclusively designed garments collections. Fashion trends are set by fashion forecasters. Fashion shows of ‘Haute Couture’ collections are held for marketing these designs.
Fashion designers also specialize to
- Design costumes for stage artists, TV or film
- Carry out historical research and design research.
Garment manufacturing units employ designers and junior designers.
- Junior designers do the first pattern cutting.
- They assemble the first samples with fabrics they have selected from the market
₹ 1.44 Lakhs to ₹ 8.47 Lakhs per annum
(Salary data sourced from PayScale.com)
The opportunities for job exist in the following sectors :
- Export houses dealing with garment/textile/handloom exports
- Retail and wholesale garment businesses in men‘s/women‘s/children clothing in sportswear/casual wear, etc.
- Haute Couture
- Government/Semi government-handloom/textile manufacturers
- Fashion show organizers/Fashion publishers
- TV/Film fashion program producers/comperes/costume designers, etc.
- With Film production units
- Teaching design
HOW DO I GET THERE?
PATH 1 :
|Std XII||Entrance Test||Degree/Diploma||Goal|
|Stream: Any||Fashion design course||Fashion Design||Fashion Designer|
PATH 2 :
|Std XII||Graduation||Professional Course||Goal|
|Stream: Any||Home Sc.(Clothing & Textiles)/Art/ Any sub||Advanced Entry Prof Edu Prog(NID)||Fashion Designer|
PATH 3 :
|Std XII||Diploma||Work Experience||Professional Course||Goal|
|Minimum 2 yrs||Advanced Entry